Welcome 2016! I am definitely a fan of setting goals. It seems like I am always making to-do lists that help me keep track of my priorities. The new year is an obvious time for the masses to set goals. But it is also a wonderful time for reflection of last year's accomplishments.
- I co-authored an article with one of my BYU college professors, Dr. Dawan Coombs. She was such an influential part of my first year teaching, and she helped me create some great lesson plans and units. A few years ago, she had asked me to participate in presenting one of our units at the conference for The National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) in Boston. Then, we decided to try and share our ideas in print. We spent a good portion of the year brainstorming, writing, editing, emailing back and forth, and eventually sending the article to possible journals for publication. After being rejected from one journal, our article was accepted by the prestigious ALAN Review.
- I studied for and passed the GRE, and then I was accepted into the University of Utah Reading and Literacy grad program. This was something I had thought about a lot since graduating college, and I had taken a few classes through the U. As a still single woman (at the time), I was excited to pursue this goal. However, with some very welcome changes in my marital status and some reevaluation of my time, money, and priorities, I decided to reassess this goal and end my grad program goals early. Instead, there are other less time and money consuming classes and professional development opportunities I plan on accessing throughout the upcoming year. I love learning, so in no way does this mean I plan on stop learning and always improving.
- Let's be honest, the all-time best thing that happened to me in 2015 was dating and marrying Andrew Macey. (See my previous for more details on the wedding day. And see our "About" page for more details on our courtship.) All I can say is that Andrew has been the biggest blessing in my life this year. He has made me happier than I ever thought was possible (and apparently more sappy than I've ever been as well). Yup, it's true.
I remember writing in my journal last year about how I hated setting dating/marriage goals for myself because those goals seemed so out of my control. All I could do was be social and let the Lord do the rest. (here was my dating go-to scripture, verse 17). Well, the Lord definitely led Andrew and I to each other, and He helped us move past doubts and fears to ultimately reach our goal of marrying for time and all eternity in His holy temple. What a great blessing!!!
New Year, New Goals
Now it't time to focus on the next year and what it will bring.
First, I have my own personal goals. These include:
- write on this blog at least once a week
- have more effective scripture study to strengthen my personal spirituality
- make and keep an exercise plan
- learn how to clean up my eating habits
- create and apply at least 2 new and improved teaching units
- acquire a new artistic talent/hobby
Andrew and I have some goals as well for this year:
- have daily prayer and scripture reading as a couple
- attend the temple once a month
- make and keep some financial goals
- run a race (still to be decided)
Well, there you have it, folks. You can expect some updates every once in a while about how these goals are progressing. Thanks for your love and support.
Andrew and Maichael
Check out our About page to learn buckets about us.